Five Year Joint BS/MS Program

Request Info

The five-year Bachelor of Science and Master of Science BS/MS degree program is designed for currently enrolled College of Engineering students to acquire both a BS/MS degree simultaneously, in five years rather than the traditional 4 plus 2 years (approximately) it normally requires. Both the BS and MS degrees are awarded at the end of the 5th year.


The College of Engineering offers a five-year Bachelor of Science and Master of Science BS/MS degree program in Aerospace Engineering (MS in Mechanical Engineering), Architectural Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering (MS in Civil Engineering), Industrial Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. It is important to note the MS, not the BS, is the first professional degree for engineers.


You must be an undergraduate student in the College of Engineering (CoE) and should have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of application. Students should discuss the program and possibility of entering with their assigned academic advisor. Applications must be submitted during your junior year. You must be admitted to the program prior to academic advising for your senior year.

Application Process:

You will need to provide all the required documentation outlined on the on-line application including 3 recommenders and a UM transcript sent directly from the UM Office of the Registrar. The online application can be found at the following link. An admission decision will not be made until all required application materials have been received and processed for review by the Admission Committee.

Financial Implications: 

Many financial aid programs, including those offered by the University, federal and state governments are restricted to coursework required to complete an undergraduate degree. The college traditionally awards a limited number of competitive MS merit tuition waivers. You must submit the MS merit tuition waiver form at the time of application in order to be considered for this competitive tuition waiver. No BS/MS merit tuition waivers are awarded or adjusted after a student is enrolled as a full-time graduate student. For more information about this topic, please review the information on the BS/MS Tuition Charges & Financial Aid.

Once admitted into BS-MS program: In your senior year, your academic advisor may approve accepted BS/MS students to take a maximum of twelve (12) graduate credits (a maximum of six (6) credits per semester), as long as you maintain your full-time undergraduate status. In order to register for these classes, you must complete and submit the UM Graduate School Application for Undergraduates to Take a Graduate Course .

BS/MS students must continue to work closely with their academic advisors to insure they will have the proper courses completed to receive their BS and MS degrees, both of them are awarded after successfully completing the 5 year program.

For additional information, please contact the Office of Admission via email at