In an effort to enhance collaborative research between engineering and other units of the University and other Universities, the College of Engineering at the University of Miami has launched Collaborative Research Exchange Forums (CREFs). CREFs focus on specific research areas at the interface of several disciplines with the purpose of stimulating externally funded collaboration between various schools. CREFs are intended to build researcher teams with complementary research expertise. The goal is to start the process of identifying Request for Proposals (RFPs) for interdisciplinary research . Most CREFs are followed by an internal RFP where faculty compete for seed funding for proposals.
Most recent CREFs:
- Medical Devices (with the Miller School of Medicine)
- Environmental Sensing (with the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science)
- Frost Institute for Chemistry and Molecular Science (with the College of Arts and Sciences)
- Nanotechnology (with BioNIUM and Florida International University)
- Nursing (with the School of Nursing and Health Sciences)