Onur TığlıAssociate Professor College of EngineeringElectrical & Computer Engineering Department
Onur Tığlı is an Associate Professor of Electrical-Computer Engineering, and a faculty member of Dr. John T. MacDonald Foundation Biomedical Nanotechnology Institute of University of Miami (BioNIUM). He also holds a secondary appointment at the Department of Pathology, Miller School of Medicine. Dr. Tigli is a recipient of the prestigious NSF CAREER Award. He is also the recipient of Eliahu I. Jury Early Career Research Award, Provost Research Award. His primary research interest is in the field of bioMEMS and biomedical nanotechnology to develop smart point-of-care diagnostic tools for cancer. Dr. Tigli also conducts research in the field of MEMS scale energy harvesters for self-sustained electronic systems. In this context, his interest is in integrating smart sensors and bioMEMS with conventional CMOS technology for implantable medical device (IMD) applications.
MEMS, Biosensors, CMOS-MEMS, VLSI, Microfluidics, Microelectronics, Biomedical Implants, Energy Harversters, System-on-a-Chip, Nanotechnology, ASIC, FPGA, Digital Design
- The George Washington University, Washington DC, Ph.D. in Computer Engineering (2008)
- The George Washington University, Washington DC, M.S. in Computer Engineering (2002)
- Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey, B.S. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (2000)
- IEEE Certificate of Recognition, Xtreme Programming Competition, Proctor for UM Team. (2011 - Present)
- Japanese Language International Proficiency, Level 4. (1999 - Present)
- University of Miami, Associate Professor. Electrical and Computer Engineering (2016 - Present)
- University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Associate Professor. Department of Pathology (2016 - Present)
- University of Miami, Faculty Member. Dr. John T. Mcdonald Foundation Biomedical Nanotechnology Institute (BioNIUM) (2010 - Present)
- University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine, Assistant Professor. Department of Pathology (2010 - 2016)
- Washington State University, Assistant Professor. School of Engineering and Computer Science (2009 - 2010)
- The George Washington University, Professorial Lecturer. Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (2008 - 2009)
- The George Washington University, Graduate Research Assistant. Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (2002 - 2007)
- The George Washington University, Graduate Teaching Assistant. Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (2002 - 2007)
Juried or Refereed Journal Articles or Exhibitions
- Yildirim, B., Gajasinghe, R. W., Senveli, S. U., Tigli, O. (2018).Surface Acoustic Wave Viscosity Sensor with Integrated Microfluidics on a PCB Platform. IEEE Sensors Journal, 18, 2305 - 2312. http://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2018.2797546
- Yagmur, Y. A., Alperen, T., Tigli, O. (2018).Piezoelectric Membrane Actuators for Micropump Applications Using PVDF-TrFE. IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 27, 86 - 94. http://doi.org/10.1109/JMEMS.2017.2773090
- Toprak, A., Tigli, O. (2018).Micron scale energy harvesters using multiple piezoelectric polymer layers. Elsevier, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 269, 412-418. http://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2017.11.035
- Toprak, A., Tigli, O. (2017).Comprehensive characterization of PVDF-TrFE thin films for microelectromechanical system applications. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 28, 15877-15885. http://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-017-7482-5
- Gajasinghe, R. W., Toprak, A., Senveli, S. U., Akin Yildirim, Y., Jones, M., Tigli, O. (2016).Rare Cell Immobilization on MEMS Scale Sensors Using Micro-Electromagnets. IEEE Sensors Journal. http://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2016.2600944
- Senveli, S. U., Zheng, A., Rawal, S., Datar, R., Cote, R. J., Tigli, O. (2016).A Surface Acoustic Wave Biosensor for Interrogation of Single Tumour Cells in Microcavities. Lab on a Chip, 9-Jan. http://doi.org/10.1039/C5LC01212K
- Toprak, A., Tigli, O. (2015).MEMS Scale PVDF-TrFE Based Piezoelectric Energy Harvesters. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 9-Jan. http://doi.org/10.1109/JMEMS.2015.2457782
- Senveli, S. U., Tigli, O. (2015).A Novel Surface Acoustic Wave Sensor for Microparticle Sensing and Quantification. IEEE Sensors Journal, 15 (10), 5748-54. http://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2015.2446491
- Toprak, A., Tigli, O. (2014).Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting State of the art and challenges". Applied Physics Reviews, 1, 0311041-14.
- Senveli, S. U., Tigli, O. (2014).A Novel Approach for Differentiation of Liquid Samples with Surface Acoustic Wave Transducers and Embedded Microcavities. Sensors and Actuators, Chemical B, 196, 272-281.
- Gajasinghe, R. W., Senveli, S. U., Rawal, S., Williams, A., Zheng, A., Datar, R., Cote, R. J., Tigli, O. (2014).Experimental study of PDMS bonding to various substrates for monolithic microfluidic applications. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 24, 75010.
- Senveli, S. U., Tigli, O. (2014).Microcantilever Suspension Using Hard Masks and a Two Phase RIE Method. Microelectronic Engineering, 121-1, 162-166.
- Senveli, S. U., Tigli, O. (2013).Finite Element method analysis of surface acoustic wave devices with microcavities for detection of liquids. Journal of Applied Physics, 114, 244904.
- Toprak, A., Tigli, O. (2013).Interdigitated electrode based MEMS scale piezoelectric energy harvester modeling and optimization using finite element method. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 60 (10), 2162-2174.
- Senveli, S. U., Tigli, O. (2013).Biosensors in the small scale: methods and technology trends. IET Nanobiotechnology, 7, 21-Jul.
- Gomez, J. L., Tigli, O. (2013).Zinc oxide nanostructures: from growth to application. Journal of Materials Science, 48 (2), 612-624.
- Tigli, O., Zaghloul, M. (2012).Finite Element Modeling and Analysis of Microfabricated Surface Acoustic Wave Devices in CMOS Technology. IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, 6-Feb, 1021-1029.
- Tigli, O., Zaghloul, M., Bivona, L., Berg, P. (2010).Fabrication and Characterization of a Surface Acoustic Wave Biosensor in CMOS technology for Biomarker Detection. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, 1-Apr, 62-73.
- Tigli, O., Zaghloul, M. (2008).Temperature Stability Analysis of CMOS-SAW Devices by Embedded Heater Design. IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, 4-Aug, 705-713.
- Tigli, O., Zaghloul, M. (2008).Design, Modeling and Characterization of a Novel Circular Surface Acoustic Wave Device. IEEE Sensors Journal, 11-Aug, 1807-1815.
- Tigli, O., Zaghloul, M. (2007).A Novel SAW Device in CMOS: Design, Modeling and Fabrication. IEEE Sensors Journal, 2-Jul, 219-227.